We are fiercely committed to making the stage as diverse as the city of Chicago--presenting new voices from inadequately represented communities and recasting classic works to showcase their contemporary relevance.
Our Core Values:
- Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- Eradicating Borders
Halcyon Theatre seeks to connect people across our communities, by sharing stories that reach through our past and imagine a new future.
The myth of the Halcyon is one of connection, transformation and soaring into a new future. It is a story of love with a lasting ripple effect. We work to give our audience a magic mirror to see a different way forward, revealing a path to more possibilities.
We make our art as an agent for change by:
- Entertaining, provoking, and inspiring
- Expanding what is thought possible
- Understanding our history
- Welcoming people with their whole selves
- Tearing down the systems of oppression that confine us
- Respecting, Nurturing and Sharing our cultures
- Distilling our traditions to build a new artistic vocabulary
- Staging the tensions between the sacred and the profane; between how our world is and how we want it to be; between the rational and the mystic
- Developing artists and artistic works for a new tomorrow
We want people to leave their time with us feeling less alone, alive with magic, and knowing more is possible.